Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christmas Dinner


Here it is a mere 4 days of Christmas and I still trying to nail down what I'm going to serve my family for dinner. Thankfully, I have parents and In-laws who basically love anything I cook.

Every year it seems to get a little bit more difficult to plan meals since our beloved parents seem to develop various ailments which prevent them from eating the foods we love but I do my best.

The one thing I have definitely decided on is a nice spiraled ham. I know a lot of people love Turkey or Roast Beef but there is something so Christmasy about a glazed spiraled ham at Christmas. Plus we get to pick on the leftovers LOL.

So, here is what I have planned so far. Again, from previous posts you know I don't like to commit to anything (even food) because you just never know... I might find something better LOL.

For starters, I'm going to cheat and serve an Italian Cheese Tray. (That's the picture up there on top). I might substitute or add in marinated mushrooms, add a block of either Roquefort or Parmesan and maybe add some grapes.

For the main course, well.. that's where I'm still working out the specifics. Seems our family gatherings have gotten into a rut and continue serving the same side dishes for every Thanksgiving and Christmas.

By request of my daughter, Sweet Potato Casserole. This is a family favorite.

1 1/2 quarts mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs -- beaten
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup butter -- melted
Topping:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter -- melted
1 cup flour -- approximately
1 cup pecans

Mash potatoes, butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs together and pour into a greased baking dish.

In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, and pecans. Stir in melted butter in small amounts until crumbly. You may not need all of it.

Sprinkle topping onto potatoes. Garnish with additional chopped or halved pecans on top. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.



A new addition to the Christmas table:


Tyler Florence's Scalloped Potato Gratin


1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.

While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.



The remaining vegetables are pretty much up in the air right now. I might just go basic steamed so it won't compete with the other flavors of the meal. I will also make the Cranberry Bliss (see former post)

For dessert... heh.. I'm actually contemplating on making a chocolate dessert station. Buckeyes, Brownies, slices of peanut butter pie, gourmet chocolate bars. Oh yum. Good thing Santa is bringing me Wii Fit this year. I'm gonna need it.








1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness, this all sounds heavenly, sure do wish I lived close by.
I'm with K., sweet potato casserole is YUMMY!